PNC Financial Services
- The intranet was eight years old and dated in terms of overall functionality and usability.
- It had a very large and complex intranet which consisted of over 30 databases, some with over 100,000 documents.
- Effective site governance was lacking.
SolutionPrescient proposed the following solution to help PNC redevelop its intranet:
- Conduct a complete assessment and gap analysis of the site’s current state and look at ways to improve navigation, usability, links, content etc.
- Gather business requirements from key stakeholders.
- Organize the site to serve as a central repository of timely and relevant information that is packaged intuitively.
- Restructure the site’s information architecture in an effort to group content according to how users look for information and what they want to find.
- Accommodate a wider range of online services and functionality immediately and scalable for the future.
- Improve internal management and support of the intranet.
- Site needs to be updated in terms of strategy, values, mission etc.
- Conduct an analysis of leading intranet sites in the financial industry, and recommend features that PNC’s intranet site should have based on best practices.
Recognizing the value Prescient could bring to the project, PNC hired Prescient to manage the intranet redevelopment project. Prescient completed a comprehensive assessment phase, incorporating user and business requirements into the Planning Phase deliverables. At a high-level the project consisted of:
- The development of a measurable, consensus-based strategic plan.
- A user-defined information architecture developed through card sorting, intranet usability best practices and usability testing.
- Creating wireframes and a look-and-feel to deliver an engaging user interface.
- A governance model to ensure the intranet would be managed effectively.
9 - Meeting expectations
9 - Communication/organization
9.5 - Quality of deliverables
9 - Consultant effectiveness
9 - Overall satisfaction